i can see that it's very difficult to fix something if you can't track down how it happens, but... doesn't the bug render the current implementation pretty useless? i mean, is anybody still using clones in real production and risks getting bitten by this?

for those who are not aware of it, a possible workaround is to use the shakestyleclone script instead.. on nukepedia:
http://www.nukepedia.com/python-scripts/nodegraph/nshakeclone/

i tried to assemble all of the latest sugestions in the comments into a new version without messing things up.. still seems to work ;)
http://pastebin.com/JFaVgyX8

how about adding something like this to the default install of nuke instead of the old clones? actually i even it to true clones in some ways (for example you can choose to keep certain parameters unlinked).

++ chris