I use clones all the time and very rarely get bitten but

1) I know how to fix the script
2) I'm aware of the bug so I am careful about how I delete clones which I think
is the heart of the problem

I use the  'shakeClone' with a couple of modifications less often - mainly when
I want to break a link.
(I renamed it 'expressionClone' here as that is almost what it is, and not
everyone these days has used shake, and added labelling so you knew which is
the master/clone node(s) without having the expression links on)

Obviously a fix is desirable but I certainly wouldn't want to lose the current
not quite perfect clone function

Howard