while i appreciate everone's help, you pegged it: your response is sort of inappropriate and semi-arrogant.

This thread concerns accessing a basic function that I figured nuke was capable of: metadata/tagging in a tiff format.

the reasons are really irrelevant, but I provided them to help people understand why I was looking for it. I don't know why this thread turned into a pipeline / file format / sys admin attack.

#

We aren't having sour frames, we are having an occasionally erratic farm issue. Any ability to help with forensics is welcome. Heck, this could have been caused by fx loading the network and nothing to do with comp renders. Our sys guys aren't having cocktails. Formats and render managers are not something that is willy nilly decided and changed on the fly.

I personally don't like tiff either, but that's our delivery format until exr's can be delivered, so that's that. We used to render exr and convert, but why bother doubling (yeah, I know, not quite) storage requirements and recheck everything twice? It's nice to deliver the frames that are rendered and not have to re-check conversions.

I'm curious now if there is any render time difference between tiff and exr and then converting like we used to. On the surface, it's an extra process and overhead on the net, but if Nuke has a harder time with tiff and is actually making renders slower, that could be a huge deal and reason to switch back. But that's a different thread.

Cheers
JRAB