Yes, these are all pretty clever ideas!

As for the logs, uh, no. Succesfully completing jobs don't leave a trail, unless you ask to keep the log before rendering. At least that's for logs I can get at. So that frame that took an hour still rendered successfully and... It's also not reasonable to request changing the render manager at a large facility.

Besides, it's a lot nicer to look at any file and see info on it. I love exrheader. More information is better when you need it.

I have to say, it's funny with a format that's been around for ages and is called "Tagged"... it's not straightforward in nuke to add metadata info to the header.

aside from all that - I just found a possibly simpler method that would need to be done as an afterFrameRender. Might be useful for someone else, so:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
./exiftool -HostComputer=$HOST -artist=$USER tagged.tiff

turns out the tags are very specific, like HostComputer (works) vs Host (does not). Tried them with nuke's modifyMetaData node, but still no luck.

Thanks for the cool ideas!
JRAB