I would love to keep the mailing lists alive as well, although I'm not
vehemently against forums.

However, I think it's worth noting that the interchange between the lists and
the old forums is (I believe) nonexistent at this point. There are a ton of
topics on the forums that most people here aren't aware of, and none of what is
posted here ends up on the forums. In other words, there's effectively a small,
detached community of people on the list side, and a (probably much larger)
separate community on the forums who either don't know the lists exist, or
don't care enough to figure out how to use them. Granted, this keeps the
signal-to-noise ratio of the lists at a very nice level...

For those of you planning to jump ship, while I'm not on the new forums yet
myself, I think it should be possible to set up your forum account so you
receive an email whenever a new topic is posted, or a daily topic digest if you
preferred. This would make it behave somewhat more like a mailing list, except
you would need to click a link instead of "reply" to respond. Food for thought,
maybe.

-Nathan