I'd say it's largely because of the evaluation of the python via tcl code
in the knobs. As long as the functionality is retained, the code needs to
be migrated from being constantly executed within the knob to being a
module that loads the function once when Nuke starts up or when a node is
generated - eg/ callbacks such as knobChanged, onCreate and onScriptLoad.

I've been in this scenario before, and it is hellish trying to get any work
done! But some cleanup of the python environment should make things a lot
more zippy.

Cheers,
Michael