Hi

I went through this with mint xfce 17

Basically I found that just installing the nvidia drivers using the mint
installation didn't cut it.

The right thing to do is download and install the Cuda drivers which are on the
nvidia site. This sets up everything perfectly, and installs the latest driver
in the process.

The Cuda installation works like adding a repository, from which you just run a
simple installation command. The set up an installation instructions are all
very clear and concise.

From here nuke sees the GPU and runs flawlessly.  They have a specific .deb
package for Ubuntu / mint users...

Check it out..... :)