> However, I think reducing the CI dedication (+maintainer effort towards
that) to those minority platforms would inevitably increase the risk of
numpy/scipy failing to work on them, and possibly risk not being
installable on them. Would we want to drop them without having a positive
assurance that the minority platform/package maintainers would keep
checking for numpy/scipy health

Nothing blocks a platform champion from running the CI on their scipy fork.
This way, the burden is on them, not on individual contributors (including
first-time contributors who only deal with common platforms).