-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Robert Kern
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:05 PM
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] FW: RE: Linux numpy 1.0.1 install failed

Gong, Shawn (Contractor) wrote:

> 2) Then in Python, when I type "import numpy"
> It says: Running from numpy source directory
> Then I type "numpy.sqrt(5)"
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'sqrt'
> I assume that this means numpy was not installed successfully.

No, it means that you are running from the numpy source directory. That
means it
is picking up the partial numpy package in the source that's used to
bootstrap
the installation. Change out of that directory and try again.

--
Robert Kern

enigma
 that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though
it had
 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco