Hi David

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:24:04PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>     First things first, happy new year to all !

Happy new year!  It's been great so far :)

>     Having recently felt the pain to use subversion merge, I was
> wondering about people's feeling on moving away from subversion and
> using a better system, ala mercurial or bzr (I will talk about bzr
> because that's the one I know the most, but this discussion is really
> about using something better than subversion, not that much about bzr).
> I think this could be an important step forward, and is somewhat related
> to the discusions on scikits and co.

I have a couple of questions, that you may be able to answer more
quickly than what I could, googling for a few hours:

1) Is it easy to setup bzr so that many people have submit-access to
the main-branch, i.e. so that we don't need a central "patch-manager"?

2) With a DRCS, we have to check out the whole repository, instead of
the current sources only.  Currently, the history amounts to roughly
70Mb, but that includes files that have been deleted etc.  Is there
any way to compact the repository, or to say "let's only go 100
revisions back, and for the rest query the main branch"?  I'm just
worried that, some day in the future, a user will need to do an
extremely large checkout to hack on a fairly small codebase.

3) Which of bzr, mercurial and git has the best merging capabilities?
I heard a while back that git does not try to be too clever about it,
while the others do -- I wonder how that worked out.

I am very fond of the distributed model, and use it for my own
development, too.  Regardless, I would still like to hear more from
people who have used it on a larger scale.

Regards
Stéfan