Francis wrote:

> I can't open rpm files so I opened numpy with archive manager and
> extracted Numpy to site-packages.

Can't you ask your admin to install rpm packages ? Uncompressing the rpm
and putting them into random places is unlikely to work.

>  Unfortunately importing numpy
> results in ImportError: .... undefined symbol:
> _PyUnicodeUCS4_IsWhitespace.

Yes, because you built your python yourself. That's why you should not
do that: once you built your own python, you are effectively using a
different ABI for every python package packaged for your distribution
unless you take care of using the exact same options as RH did. You
should not do that unless you really know what you're doing.

>  Suggested solution found in wiki is to
> hard-install numpy. Aaaaah ... it is like running in circles. Is it
> possible to use refblas and lapack libraries in the ashigabou rep.

Yes, as long as you use gfortran to build numpy/scipy. But I would first
ask your admin whether it is ok to install the rpms. That's really how
packages should be installed, not using the sources directly.

cheers,

David