On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:42 AM, David Cournapeau <da...@silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>
>> (I'd think one basically has to make the same blatant assumptions that
>> f2py makes about type conversion, name mangling etc., but that is also
>> much less dangerous/error-prone for Fortran 77.)
>
> Everything related to name mangling can be handled by
> distutils/numscons, so this is not an issue (I am ready to help if
> necessary on that side).

That's good and will make it easier to support 77-only code in fwrap.

> I don't really know the assumptions made by f2py otherwise: is it
> prevalent for most fortran compilers to pass most things by reference ?
> g77 uses the f2c convention I believe, but I don't know much about other
> compilers, especially proprietary ones,

I'm no expert on 77 stuff, but at least with the standardization of
the C interoperability features in the 2003 standard, everything is
passed by reference by default between Fortran and C (for the
non-opaque types, which are the only allowed arguments between Fortran
& C).  The 'VALUE' keyword was added to the language to allow
arguments to be passed by value.  Some compilers supported the VALUE
kw before the 2003 standard came out (Sun's fortran compiler, for
one).

Kurt