Hi David & others,

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 19:09, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Sandro Tosi <mo...@debian.org> wrote:
>> Hi David,

>>> I quickly adapted the code from the Sun math library for the linux ppc
>>> long double format. Let me know if it works (if possible, you should
>>> run the test suite).
>>
>> thanks for working on it :)
>>
>> I checked out numpy at r8511 and built it on powerpc, attached the
>> buildlog (it crashed at doc generation, but the setup.py build were
>> done before, and went fine).
>>
>> I've python2.x setup.py install --prefix install/ and execute the
>> tests from there with:
>>
>> ~/numpy/install$ PYTHONPATH=lib/python2.6/site-packages/ python2.6 -c
>> "import numpy; print numpy.test()" &> ../testlog_2.6
>> ~/numpy/install$ PYTHONPATH=lib/python2.5/site-packages/ python2.5 -c
>> "import numpy; print numpy.test()" &> ../testlog_2.5
>>
>> attached the testlogs too: there are a couple of failures.
>
> The failures seem to be related to the long double not conforming to
> IEEE754 standard on linux ppc. I am not sure how to deal with them -
> maybe raising a warning if the user uses long double, as its usage
> will always be flaky on that platform anyway (numpy assumes IEEE
> 754-like support)

yeah a warning might be nice.

Just to keep you informed, I tested 1.4.1+r8510+r8510 and it builds
fine on the porterbox only showing this failure on test():

FAIL: test_umath.TestComplexFunctions.test_loss_of_precision(<type
'numpy.complex64'>,)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/nose/case.py", line 183, in runTest
    self.test(*self.arg)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy/core/tests/test_umath.py",
line 524, in check_loss_of_precision
    assert np.all(d < 1e-15)
AssertionError

Ran 2016 tests in 52.670s

FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=2, failures=1)
<nose.result.TextTestResult run=2016 errors=0 failures=1>

Hence I decided to upload and the build went fine on the buildd machine [1].

[1]
https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=python-numpy&arch=powerpc&ver=1%3A1.4.1-3&stamp=1279914539&file=log&as=raw

the other big show-stopper for numpy is the fail to build on alpha
you're already aware of: if you need any kind of support, just ask me.

Thanks a lot for your support for powerpc issue!

Cheers,