On 07/30/2010 06:47 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> For the build logs it's easy:
>
> alpha:
> https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=python-numpy&arch=alpha&ver=1%3A1.4.1-4&stamp=1280296333&file=log&as=raw
> powerpc:
> https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=python-numpy&arch=powerpc&ver=1%3A1.4.1-4&stamp=1280297029&file=log&as=raw
>
> for powerpc "import numpy; numpy.test()" I've already sent you the
> output, want me to re-run them? for alpha, attached you can find the
> log for both 2.5 and 2.6; there are some errors/warnings but nothing
> too dramatic?

Wow, I am genuily surprised that the alpha test suite has no error (the
2.5 error has nothing to do with the fixes).

>> Also, if there is another issue preventing numpy 1.4.x integration on
>> debian and ubuntu, please speak up. Ideally, I would like to remove
>
> I don't think there is anything else (for now :) ) from the numpy
> side: Thanks a lot for the support!! Now on Debian we have to fix some
> packages to avoid breakages when we upgrade numpy in the future (the
> biggest issue was that dtype was extended with new fields at the end,
> but some packages were checking the size of dtype with the one the
> packge was compiled with (1.3.*) and failed).

Yes, we have improved quite a bit our support here in 1.4.x - we hope
that those issues won't arise in the 1.x series anymore. Note also that
if those dtype errors appear with pyrex/cython-generated code, using a
more recent cython will prevent the error from happening (warnings
raised instead).

> As usual, Ubuntu will
> just sit and wait for us to do the work and then just sync it (sigh).
>
>> the need for downstream patches (none of them was necessary IIRC),
>
> Here is the list of the patches we currently have in the Debian
> package (you can look at them at [2]):
>
> 02_build_dotblas.patch
> - Patch to build _dotblas.c when ATLAS is not installed.
> -- dunno exactly what it does, it seems to infer _dotblas is compiled
> is ATLAS is missing

This is is caused by not having atlas as a build dependency I guess.
Strictly speaking, dotblas only requires cblas, but we don't have the
check in place to do so. Since numscons already does this, and it has
worked pretty well, maybe I will take time to add this as well in
numpy.distutils. But this has relatively little consequence I think.

> 03_force_f2py_version.patch
> - force generation f2py postfixed with interpreter version
> -- Debian specific: we ship f2py2.5 and f2py2.6 and we make f2py a
> symlink towards f2py2.6

ok.

> 05_fix_endianness_detection.patch
> - Fix endianness detection: endian.h should be present on all Debian
> machines. This patch forces the use of endian.h, this reventing
> several reverse dependencies os Numpy from failing to build.
> -- Debian specific: we want to enforce the usage of endian.h file
> available on all of our architectures

This one has been fixed in the 1.4.x branch (and trunk of course)

> 07_bts585309_string_exceptions.diff
> - Remove string exceptions
> -- patch from trunk, we can remove it once a new release is out

This one as well

> In case of any doubts or so, don't hesitate to contact me: I'd be more
> than happy to give all the help I can.

great, thanks,

David