I will be away from my computer for a week, but what I could try today
shows that Matlab JIT is doing some tricks so the results I have shown
previously for Matlab are likely to be wrong.
In this sense, it seems to be that timings are similar between numpy
and matlab if Jit tricks are avoided.

Next week I will run more tests. I am planning to summarize the
results and put them somewhere on the web, since in some cases numpy
+numexpr greatly outperform matlab- however I will first make sure
that JIT is not shadowing the conclusions