This makes me ask something that I always wanted to know: why is weave
not the preferred or encouraged way ?

Is it because no developer has interest in maintaining it or is it too
onerous to maintain ? I do not know enough of its internals to guess
an answer. I think it would be fair to say that weave has languished a
bit over the years.

What I like about weave is that even when I drop into the C++ mode I
can pretty much use the same numpy'ish syntax and with no overhead of
calling back into the numpy c functions. From the sourceforge forum it
seems the new Blitz++ is quite competitive with intel fortran in SIMD
vectorization as well, which does sound attractive.

Would be delighted if development  on weave catches up again.