On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.har...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The question has come up as to how much effort we should spend backporting
> fixes to 1.8.x. An alternative would be to tag 1.9.0 early next year,
> aiming for a release around April. I think there is almost enough in
> 1.9-devel to justify a release. There is Sebastian's index work, Julian's
> continuing work on speedups, the removal of oldnumeric and numarray
> support, and various other deprecations and cleanups that add up to a
> significant number of changes. I've tended to think of 1.9 as a cleanup and
> consolidation release

Makes sense.

> and think that the main thing missing at this point is fixing the datetime
> problems.

Is anyone planning to work on this? If yes, you need a rough estimate of
when this is ready to go. If no, it needs to be decided if this is critical
for the release. From the previous discussion I tend to think so. If it's
critical but no one does it, why plan a release.......

A suggestion for backporting strategy: do not backport things that have
just been merged. Because (a) doing it PR by PR gives a lot of overhead,
and (b) if the commit causes issues that have to be fixed or reverted, you
have to fix things twice. Instead, just keep a list of backport candidates
in a github issue, then do it all at once when it's clear that a bugfix
release is needed.

Ralf