On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.har...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM, David Cournapeau <courn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On my machine, if I use inspect instead of _inspect in
>> numpy.compat.__init__, the import time increases ~ 25 % (from 82 ms to 99
>> ms).
>>
>> So the hack certainly still make sense, one just need to fix whatever
>> needs fixing (I am still not sure what's broken for the very specific
>> usecase that code was bundled for).
>>

> I'm not sure a one time hit of 17 ms is worth fighting for ;) The problems
> were that both the `string` and `dis` modules were used without importing
> them.

Don't fix what ain't broken ;)

The 17 ms is not what matters, the % is. People regularly complain about
import times, and 25 % increase in import time is significant (the above
timing are on my new macbook with SSD and 16 Gb RAM -- figures will easily
be 1 order of magnitude worse in common situations with slower computers,
slower HDD, NFS, etc...)

David