(I created issue 4965 earlier today on this topic, and I have been
advised to email to this mailing list to discuss whether it is a good
idea or not. I include my original post as-is, followed by additional
comments.)

I think that the following new feature would make `numpy.einsum` even
more powerful/useful/awesome than it already is. Moreover, the change
should not interfere with existing code, it would preserve the
"minimalistic" spirit of `numpy.einsum`, and the new functionality would
integrate in a seamless/intuitive manner for the users.

In short, the new feature would allow for repeated subscripts to appear
in the "output" part of the `subscripts` parameter (i.e., on the
right-hand side of `->`). The corresponding dimensions in the resulting
`ndarray` would only be filled along their diagonal, leaving the off
diagonal entries to the default value for this `dtype` (typically zero).
Note that the current behavior is to raise an exception when repeated
output subscripts are being used.

This is simplest to describe with an example involving the dual behavior
of `numpy.diag`.

```python
# Extracting the diagonal of a 2-D array.
A = arange(16).reshape(4,4)
print(diag(A)) # Output: [ 0 5 10 15 ]
print(einsum('ii->i', A)) # Same as previous line (current behavior).

# Constructing a diagonal 2-D array.
v = arange(4)
print(diag(v)) # Output: [[0 0 0 0] [0 1 0 0] [0 0 2 0] [0 0 0 3]]
print(einsum('i->ii', v)) # New behavior would be same as previous line.
# The current behavior of the previous line is to raise an exception.
```

By opposition to `numpy.diag`, the approach generalizes to higher
dimensions: `einsum('iii->i', A)` extracts the diagonal of a 3-D array,
and `einsum('i->iii', v)` would build a diagonal 3-D array.

The proposed behavior really starts to shine in more intricate cases.

```python
# Dummy values, these should be probabilities to make sense below.
P_w_ab = arange(24).reshape(3,2,4)
P_y_wxab = arange(144).reshape(3,3,2,2,4)

# With the proposed behavior, the following two lines should be equivalent.
P_xyz_ab = einsum('wab,xa,ywxab,zy->xyzab', P_w_ab, eye(2), P_y_wxab,
eye(3))
also_P_xyz_ab = einsum('wab,ywaab->ayyab', P_w_ab, P_y_wxab)
```

If this is not convincing enough, replace `eye(2)` by
`eye(P_w_ab.shape[1])` and replace `eye(3)` by `eye(P_y_wxab.shape[0])`,
then imagine more dimensions and repeated indices... The new notation
would allow for crisper codes and reduce the opportunities for dumb
mistakes.

For those who wonder, the above computation amounts to
$P(X=x,Y=y,Z=z|A=a,B=b) = \sum_w P(W=w|A=a,B=b) P(X=x|A=a)
P(Y=y|W=w,X=x,A=a,B=b) P(Z=z|Y=y)$ with $P(X=x|A=a)=\delta_{xa}$ and
$P(Z=z|Y=y)=\delta_{zy}$ (using LaTeX notation, and $\delta_{ij}$ is
[Kronecker's delta](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_delta)).

(End of original post.)

I have been told by @jaimefrio that "The best way of getting a new
feature into numpy is putting it in yourself." Hence, if discussions
here do reveal that this is a good idea, then I may give a try at coding
it myself. However, I currently know nothing of the inner workings of
numpy/ndarray/einsum, and I have higher priorities right now. This means
that it could take a long while before I contribute any code, if I ever
do. Hence, if anyone feels like doing it, feel free to do so!

Also, I am aware that storing a lot of zeros in an `ndarray` may not, a
priori, be a desirable avenue. However, there are times where you have
to do it: think of `numpy.eye` as an example. In my case of application,
I use such diagonal structures in the initialization of an `ndarray`
which is later updated through an iterative process. After these
iterations, most of the zeros will be gone. Do other people see a use
for such capabilities?

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Pierre-André Noël