Hi Luke,

For day-to-day development and testing of numpy, I don't bother with
either inplace builds *or* installing it -- I just use the magical
"runtests.py" script that you'll find in the root of your git
checkout.

E.g., to build and then test the (possibly modified) source in your
current checkout, just do:

    ./runtests.py

That's all. This builds into a hidden directory and then sets up the
correct PYTHONPATH before running the tests etc. -- you don't have to
worry about any of it, it's magic.

There are also lots of options, see ./runtests.py --help. Try adding
-j for multi-core builds, or you can specify arbitrary options to pass
to nose, or you can run it under gdb (there's an example in --help),
or if you just want an interactive shell to futz around in manually
instead of running the test suite then try passing --ipython.

(CC'ed), which is where numpy development discussions usually take
place -- this list is more for scipy-the-package itself. There's lots
of overlap in readership between the two lists, but numpy-discussion
will probably give you quicker and more useful answers to questions
like this in general :-)

-n

Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org