I tried cleaning the git dir, and trying again.  It still didn't work giving me
the report:

ERROR: test_scripts.test_f2py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Users/lzkelley/anaconda/envs/numpy-py27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nose/case.py",
 line 197, in runTest
    self.test(*self.arg)
  File
"/Users/lzkelley/Programs/public/numpy/build/testenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/testing/decorators.py",
 line 146, in skipper_func
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File
"/Users/lzkelley/Programs/public/numpy/build/testenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/tests/test_scripts.py",
 line 68, in test_f2py
    code, stdout, stderr = run_command([f2py_cmd, '-v'])
  File
"/Users/lzkelley/Programs/public/numpy/build/testenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/tests/test_scripts.py",
 line 48, in run_command
    proc = Popen(cmd, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)
  File "/Users/lzkelley/anaconda/envs/numpy-py27/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/Users/lzkelley/anaconda/envs/numpy-py27/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Ran 6029 tests in 82.132s

FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=6, SKIP=10, errors=2)

f2py itself did seem to work fine from the command-line...

I did get things (seemingly) working, by cleaning the dir again, and then
running:

        python setupegg.py develop --user

This built properly, and now lets me make modification to the source files and
have them take effect immediately.  This is really all I need for now, but I
will try to get the `./runtests.py` working for the future.  Perhaps the
problem is something to do with my previous python environment installed via
macports...