On 6/10/2016 1:34 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
You keep pounding on this example. It's a fine example, but, c'mon. **2 is
probably at least 100x more common in real source code. Maybe 1000x more
common. Why should we break the
common case for your edge case?

It is hardly an "edge case".
Again, **almost all** integer combinations overflow: that's the point.
If you were promoting to a Python long integer, that would change things.
But hobbling a whole operator so that people don't have to say `a*a` seems
absurdly wasteful.  Additionally, returning floats provides a better
match to Python's behavior (i.e., it allows sensible handling of
negative powers).  Users who really want in output and understand
overflow should be supported with a function.

Anyway, I've said my piece and will shut up now.

Cheers,
Alan