On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 4:34 AM, Sebastian Berg
<sebast...@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Mi, 2016-07-06 at 15:30 -0400, Benjamin Root wrote:
>> I don't see how one could define a spec that would take an arbitrary
>> array of indices at which to place new dimensions. By definition, you
>>

> You just give a reordered range, so that (1, 0, 2) would be the current
> 3D version. If 1D, fill in `1` and `2`, if 2D, fill in only `2` (0D,
> add everything of course).

I was originally thinking (-1, 0) for the 2D case. Just go along the
list and fill as many dims as necessary. Your way is much better since
it does not require a different operation for positive and negative
indices.

> However, I have my doubts that it is actually easier to understand then
> to write yourself ;).

A dictionary or ragged list would be better for that: either {1: (1,
0), 2: (2,)} or [(1, 0), (2,)]. The first is more clear since the
index in the list is the starting ndim - 1.