On Wed, 21 Jun 2017, Jim Klimov wrote:

Regarding systemd, there are many valid paths, applied in order of preference (rising from distro to system-local). It may be worded better in official docs, but in short, the /usr/lib/systemd and to an extent /lib/systemd trees can be considered distro(package) and core-systemd defaults. The /etc/systemd lists activated services and system-local customizations or overrides, if any. Finally /run/systemd has some runtime-local services or links, that are valid until reboot and must be re-instantiated after boot. Something like that ;)

I simplified my text and added a link to section “unit file load path” in man systemd.unit. I'll let the the systemd guys explain it.

Roger