My thought of #2 require none of that . . . I have a server with two supplies,
and two UPS units. One supply is on each UPS, and clients are distributed
otherwise to balance. The main thing is to ensure that it is documented
accurately how to config so that the server only shuts down when the *second*
unit hits low battery . . .  I found the info on this topic almost nonexistent
at present . . .

- Tim