2006/8/1, Matthew Isleb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:

>> Eh? Why would I want to command the *UPS* to power down? The UPS will
>> power down if and when the battery goes dead.
>>
>> Or did I misunderstand that? I want all my servers to power down
>> using the UPS itself as the "master" instead of picking a server as a
>> master.
>
> that requires snmp-ups to register in the agent.
> and I've never done this part (I've originaly developed it with MGE
> sponsorship, but never got time nor motivation to finish this...)
> And without this feature, there are chance that the UPS ignores the
> shutoff (UPS shutdown) procedure... snmp-ups so currently act as an
> NMS (network management system, like HPOV, Unicenter TNG, ...), and
> not in manager mode!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the structure of NUT yet. What does this
mean? What exactly can snmp-ups do for me?

this means that you can't use the snmp mechanism equivalent to upsmon
slave / master. As snmp-ups can't register into the card, the card
doesn't know there is a client to be shutdown... And this generally
means that while you will be able to shutdown your computer(s), the
UPS will continue to drain battery, wont cut its output and won't
power these up when the power is restored. But the exact UPS behavior
depend on its type. Ie, big online units never power off, but only
stop/start its outputs.

to be simple: snmp-ups can translate SNMP data into NUT data. But it
wont be able to shutoff the UPS! Not until somebody take over my
unfinished work (@Nikklas: are you there?)

Arnaud