>> After the first test and the NAS is restarted I had to change the setting
>> battery.charge.low again to 80
>
> Does the NAS DSM reset battery.charge.low to 10 or is it internal to the UPS?
>  You will have to experiment by disconnecting the UPS control lead from the
> NAS and connecting it (if possible) to the Mac.  After setting to 80 and a
> power off-on cycle is the value 80 or 10?

Ok I will have try this.  I am also searching on the NAS if it set somehow.

>> 3. Users from the NAS are warned, not yet the Mac user.  Only when executing
>> automatic power-fail shutdown.
>
> In upsmon.conf on the Mac, what are the values of NOTIFYMSG ONBATT and
> NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT?  Does program wall work on the Mac? It fails on a lot of
> Linux boxes with graphical interfaces - to get a message to the user, you
> have to use notify-send, which means setting up upssched.

# NOTIFYMSG ONLINE      "UPS %s on line power"
# NOTIFYMSG ONBATT      "UPS %s on battery"
# NOTIFYMSG LOWBATT     "UPS %s battery is low"
# NOTIFYMSG FSD         "UPS %s: forced shutdown in progress"
# NOTIFYMSG COMMOK      "Communications with UPS %s established"
# NOTIFYMSG COMMBAD     "Communications with UPS %s lost"
# NOTIFYMSG SHUTDOWN    "Auto logout and shutdown proceeding"
# NOTIFYMSG REPLBATT    "UPS %s battery needs to be replaced"
# NOTIFYMSG NOCOMM      "UPS %s is unavailable"
# NOTIFYMSG NOPARENT    "upsmon parent process died - shutdown impossible"

NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG NOCOMM EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD IGNORE
NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK IGNORE
NOTIFYFLAG SHUTDOWN IGNORE
NOTIFYFLAG FSD EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG NOPARENT SYSLOG

> Does program wall work on the Mac?

file testwall:

hallo

tried: wall testwall and result:

Broadcast Message from
        (/dev/ttys002) at 11:28 CEST...

hallo

So wall work in a terminal only.

> It fails on a lot of Linux boxes with graphical interfaces - to get a message
> to the user, you have to use notify-send, which means setting up upssched.

# NOTIFYCMD <command>
#
# upsmon calls this to send messages when things happen
#
# This command is called with the full text of the message as one argument.
# The environment string NOTIFYTYPE will contain the type string of
# whatever caused this event to happen.
#
# Note that this is only called for NOTIFY events that have EXEC set with
# NOTIFYFLAG.  See NOTIFYFLAG below for more details.
#
# Making this some sort of shell script might not be a bad idea.  For more
# information and ideas, see pager.txt in the docs directory.
#
# Example:
# NOTIFYCMD /usr/local/ups/bin/notifyme

NOTIFYCMD /sw/sbin/upssched

Results second test 1 after changing on NAS, Control Panel Hardware & Power,
Power recovery, Restart automatically after a power failure. And changing on
the Mac, system preferences, energy saver, start up automatically after a power
failure.

1 Pull power cord

2 Ups beeps NAS and Mac work

3 NAS users warned. Mac not

4 low bat, first slave Mac shutdown.  Than Master NAS shutdown. ( report in log
NAS, server is on battery, server going to safe shutdown)

5 UPS shutdown after 29 seconds.

6 reconnect power

7 NAS now starts up but Mac doesn’t

Kind Regards,