Hello all,
I think Nutch is a fantastic product.  I used 0.6 initially, then 0.7.
My 0.7 installation is in production, and mostly works really well.  I
haven't made the move to 0.8 yet, because the direction that Nutch has
gone for 0.8 is quite different from what my organisation requires from
its search engine.

I owe Doug and the team a huge thank-you for all the effort they've put
into Nutch.  Well done.

However, it's a sad day when someone like Richard Braman gets shot down
in flames for making some fair and valid criticisms of the Nutch
project.  Apart from his statement about Nutch being in "proof of
concept" stage, I agree with everything Richard has said.  The
documentation DOES leave a fair bit to be desired.  The initial learning
curve CAN be precipitous.  It's easy to get confused with all the
various settings in the XML configuration files and the various
plug-ins.  I can understand that he doesn't feel that he's in a position
to contribute to the documentation base, because he doesn't know all the
answers yet.

I think moving everything, including the tutorial, to the Wiki is a
fine idea; provided that we encourage new users to comment on what did
and didn't work for them.  I think we'll find there's a lot of common
ground among their comments.  Long-term readers of the nutch-user
mailing list know that many newbies ask the same questions.

Also, I've lost count of the number of times someone has posted
something to the effect of "I'll pay someone to give me Nutch support",
simply because they find the existing documentation and mailing lists
inadequate.  Usually, that person gets told that the best way to get
Nutch support is to ask questions on the mailing list; but since
questions often go unanswered, this isn't a very good way to get Nutch
support at all.

All of this is acceptable in a product that hasn't yet reached "version
1.0".  The code has moved ahead faster than the documentation; and
that's fine, provided the documentation will eventually catch up.
Maybe, once 0.8 is deemed production-worthy, the team should down tools,
stop coding, and put some effort into really producing a really lovely
set of documentation, including a comprehensive FAQ.  I believe that
this will help grow the user base, faster than adding new features ever
could.

So in summary, well done to the Nutch team for this great product.
Well done to Richard Braman for pointing out what could be done.  And
let's all not flame people whose opinions differ from our own.

David.

This email may contain legally privileged information and is intended only for
the addressee. It is not necessarily the official view or
communication of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or
information in it. If you have received this email in error, please contact the
sender immediately. NZQA does not accept any liability for changes made to this
email or attachments after sending by NZQA.

All emails have been scanned for viruses and content by MailMarshal.
NZQA reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its network.