I think of the Nutch project as a marathon, not a sprint.  Nutch's
stated goals include:

* Scale to entire web
- pages on millions of different servers
- billions of pages
* Support high traffic
- thousands of searches per second
* State-of-the-art search quality

(see http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Presentations)

It's inspiring to see a project with such ambitious goals become a reality.