On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Paul Quinn (paulq) <pa...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for the questions and comments!  Please see inline.
>
> On Jul 14, 2014, at 3:43 PM, Tom Herbert <therb...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi VXLAN-gpe authors,
>>
>> Abstract: technically this is not extending a VXLAN but defines a new
>> protocol that looks similar to VXLAN (demonstrated by need for new UDP
>> port assignment).
>
> We are trying to balance re-use of the VXLAN format and the need to support
> existing non-GPE hardware that might already be deployed.  We looked at using
> the same port, and the new one, and decided, at this point that a new port is
> easier for migration but since the packet format is essentially VXLAN to keep
> the VXLAN name.
>

>> Section 3.1: yet another protocol numbering scheme is defined. Why not
>> use IP protocol numbering space. e.g. 41 for IPv6, 94 for IPv4, 97 for
>> Ethernet. NSH would need an protocol number allocation (maybe that is
>> the intent so these can be used at L3? ).
>
> We can certainly use the IP protocol numbers for the protocols that have one.
>  However, there are protocols that might be encapsulated that don’t have an
> IP protocol number (not just NSH) so we still need a registry for those.

NSH looks an awful lot like an IP extension header to me, have you
considered requesting a protocol number for this?

You can always use proto=47 (GRE) as an secondary encapsulation header
to encapsulate the full ETHER_TYPE range. This technique is described
in GUE draft (cost is 4 bytes and a little bit of processing for these
other protocols not represented by an IP protocol number).

>> Section 3.1: P-bit seems unnecessary to me, is more complex to
>> process, and there is no reason to be compatible with VXLAN. Without
>> P-bit we can always do simple indirect look-up to get protocol handler
>> (e.g. handler = proto_handlers[protocol]), but with the P-bit we need
>> to do an additional conditional.
>
> The P bit ensures that we have forwarding logic consistent with LISP
> (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lewis-lisp-gpe/).  Also, in the case
> if/when gpe uses the same port as VXLAN, the p-bit helps with parsing on the
> receiving end.

I think there's more logic in being consistent with Ethernet, IP, GRE
protocol standards where the next protocol field is always valid as an
invariant.

>> Also, since this now has a protocol and version in the header, the
>> only thing fundamentally missing is a header length field. Please
>> consider adding that. See GUE
>> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-gue-01) or geneve for the
>> justification of why this is critical.
>>

> The length of the gpe header is fixed, so adding length wouldn’t buy us much?

Fixed length gpe (or in VXLAN for that matter) implies no protocol
eXtensibility :-).

Thanks,
Tom