On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Dino Farinacci <farina...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. The VXLAN-GPE draft should focus only on the VXLAN-GPE header and
>> requires the assignment of a new UDP port.   The fact that the VXLAN-GPE
>> header closely resembles VXLAN may be convenient for implementers, but this
>> protocol by definition is not backward compatible with VXLAN.
>
> If you do that then it will be harder for VXLAN-GPE systems to interoperate
> with a VXLAN systems. Because a VXLAN-GPE system will need to open and
> maintain 2 UDP sockets. And an implementaiton will have to be careful to not
> set the P-bit for the VXLAN socket or clear the P-bit for VXLAN-GPE socket.
> This is all completely unnecessary and one way or the other should be used.

I am not sure what you are suggesting. AFAICT there is no backwards
compatible means to to add the protocol field to VXLAN which is the
motivation for the new UDP port, which in turn implies a new protocol
(which also implies an opportunity to add a more general set of
protocol features like version number and options extensions which are
also not backwards compatible). Maybe it's possible to break
compatibility within the protocol and assume that out of band
mechanisms could negotiate use of P-bit to compensate, but I assume
there's already quite a bit of VXLAN deployment so that seems pretty
shaky robustness-wise to me.

It's not just adding the protocol field that would be an issue, even
adding the OAM bit to VXLAN would be problematic. Per VXLAN spec
unspecified flag bits are ignored on receive, so if the OAM bit were
subsequently defined in VXLAN it will be ignored by existing
implementations and these packets will be processed normally-- this
seems to be incompatible with the proposed VXLAN-gpe requirement that
"When the O bit is set to 1, the packet is an OAM packet and OAM
processing MUST occur." (btw 'OAM processing' is awfully ambiguous to
be a MUST here IMO).

Allowing the reserved bits in the header to be ignored on receive
limits the usefulness in that new bits that are defined can only be
advisory and not fundamentally change interpretation of the packet.
Had the requirement in VXLAN been that packets with unknown bits set
be dropped, then adding P-bit and O-bit could have been done with
backwards compatibility. This might be a reasonable requirement to
consider if new protocol (i.e. new port number) is undertaken.

Thanks,
Tom