On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Mach Chen <mach.c...@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,

Thanks for the pointer. Regarding the need for synchronized clocks to
measure delay, I consulted our local NTP expert. The host clock jitter
we currently see in our network is currently usually greater than
one-way packet delay (in some cases much greater), so in his words:
"measuring one-way packet delays using host clocks is a lost cause".
Please take this as just one data point!

> Yes, it does need some synchronization. As for the range, it depends on two
> factors, one is the implementation limitation, the other the requirement of
> the operators. In the above reference, the suggested periods are 1s, 10s,
> 1min, 10min and 1h.

I think if we were implementing delay measurement in GUE, I would
advocate add a 64 bit optional field for timestamp, probably
containing source time stamp, and echoed timestamp for a flow (usec
resolution and similar in design TCP timestamp option). This easily
gives a precise RTT, and if clocks are precisely synchronized then one
way latency could be calculated also.

Thanks,
Tom