On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Marc Binderberger <m...@sniff.de> wrote:
> Hello Deepak et al.,
>
> so this sounds like we need more than just a (2nd) bit for delay measurement.
> Seems we need an optional header extension or a TLV to carry all the
> information (timestamps, oam Subtype). Sounds definitely more than a 32/64bit
> header could carry (*).
>
> The optional header extension, when done similar to GUE, has a fixed
> position. For the TLV this would be an additional requirement. This would
> allow for hardware-stamping.

The alternative is to do active delay measurement using request/reply.
We should be able to define the requirements so that an OAM message
corresponding to a flow which would be routed in exactly the same way
as a data message for the flow. Larry mentioned that we might even
want to put a "fake" packet header as the first part of the
encapsulated payload of an OAM message for instance.