As discussed in recent posts by Tom Fiore, Angus Wilson, and others, early
December can be an exciting time for finding unusual birds in the Northeast,
and the upcoming CBC season is sure to feature many exciting discoveries.

The question of where our early winter avian novelties come from is surely
fascinating. As long ago as the 1950s, Ludlow Griscom showed that a winter
specimen of Yellow-breasted Chat from Massachusetts was actually an example of
the western North American “Long-tailed” Chat (Icteria virens auricollis), not
the nominate southeastern subspecies that is rare as a breeder even on Long
Island. This is really neat when one considers that, although the vast majority
of Chats winter deep in the tropics, a significant—and increasing—number are
now wintering from Long Island to Nova Scotia. Thus, this question of
connections between breeding origins and winter occurrences has been taken up
by researchers investigating topics as disparate as how bird populations are
responding to climate change and how vagrancy fits into the migratory ecology
of birds.

Juliette Goulet, a doctoral student at the College of Staten Island and the
City University of New York, is studying some of these questions, using Gray
Catbirds as a model. Unlike Chats, Summer Tanagers, and Rufous Hummingbirds,
this species is a common breeder throughout New York State. Juliette would like
to know if the increasing numbers of wintering catbirds in our region derive
from local breeding populations, a variety of different breeding populations,
or some specific breeding population other than our local one. It is possible
that birds breeding, for instance, in the Upper Midwest, are colonizing a new
wintering range in our region in response to environmental changes.

One part of Juliette’s dissertation research involves using stable isotope
analysis to determine the breeding origins of catbirds wintering in the
Northeast.

Anyone interested in these matters could greatly assist her in the following
ways:

1. If you find a road-killed, window-killed, or cat-presented catbird between
late November and early April, please contact either Juliette or me immediately
so that we can arrange to salvage one to three tail feathers for analysis.

2. If you find catbirds wintering in places where banding is feasible, likewise
notify us so that we might arrange to band the birds. By doing so, Juliette
will be able to collect information concerning age and body weight, and also to
collect a feather for isotopic analysis.

We hold permits to band birds and collect feathers from the federal, NYS, and
other regional state governments. If in doubt, please contact us!

Shai Mitra      Shaibal.Mitra AT csi.cuny.edu   (note new email address)
Juliette Goulet jgoulet AT me.com
College of Staten Island

Think green before you print this email.