With the Christmas Bird Counts (CBC) only a week away I spent some time doing a
little scouting this morning in the Captree CBC count circle. At Belmont Lake
State Park a single Cackling Goose was observed among approximately a thousand
Canada Geese. The CG was towards the small end of the size variation that I
have observed in the species, with a small bill, squarish head, and white neck
collar. The geese use Belmont Lake for roosting purposes, flying out of the
pond within an hour or two of first light to feed on neighboring school
athletic fields and golf courses. Also present on the Lake were three Wood
Ducks. At Southard's Pond (south of Belmont Lake) I observed my FOS Common
Merganser in addition to two Wood Ducks. At Lake Capri on Montauk Highway in
West Islip there were twelve Redhead and fifteen Green-winged Teal. No
Canvasback were noted on any of the ponds - this might be a hard to find
species on some CBC's.

Ken Feustel