To follow up on Anthony Collerton's post, I also took a quick look at
the goose field on Further Lane in East Hampton (Suffolk Co.) late
this afternoon. After a few scans I picked out the four 1st-basic
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and seven CACKLING GEESE (continuing from
9 Jan). I've found that both species travel through the larger Canada
Geese as fairly cohesive groups, so if you happen upon one individual
it pays to follow it and the flock mates will 'appear', almost by
magic. I suspect the geese like this field because there is no hunting
or other disturbance. Indeed many birds were dozing in the late
afternoon sun. If birders stay on the roadside (i.e. not up against
the fence) and are careful not to slam car doors, the geese don't seem
too bothered.
--
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA