Dear all,

Ginnie Fratti, director at Wildlife Rescue of the Hamptons and I were discussing the possibility of catching and examining the dovekie to see what kind of condition it was it; releasing it on the ocean if it looked good, or bringing it in for rehab if it was doing poorly.

With her recommendation, I went down to have a look. As it was foraging on its own, both mid-afternoon and at sundown, so even given the icy temperatures and conditions, it made sense to leave it be.

I just stopped down there again and saw no sign of it. There are a few folks who have been set up with scopes there for awhile who have not seen it either. It is almost completely iced over in that little channel except for a little line around the agitators. There is an opening to the bay, however, and so lets hope it made it back into open water.

WRH is a licensed wildlife rehabilitation center run by a skilled and incredibly conscientious staff which can be lauded for their unflagging dedication to the field, especially in these tough economic times.

Peg Hart