RE:
-----
        From:   John Askildsen <askild...@verizon.net>
        Subject:        [nysbirds-l] Addendum
        Date:   March 20, 2010 7:27:43 PM EDT
        To:     nysbirds-l@cornell.edu

most important of today's finds, but omitted inadvertantly from my
previous report, was that of a "chipping" waterthrush near the blind
at Big John's Pond at Jamaica Bay WR. My wife, bob kurtz and I, all
heard the bird, but never actually saw it. Presumably, it was a
Louisiana, given the date, albeit early.

JPA
John Askildsen
Millbrook, New York
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

John and all,

Anyone with further data please correct this - I believe the early NY
state record for Louisiana Waterthrush is from March 17 (and following
days), 2006 - a bird photographed on that particular St. Patrick's Day
at the "Loch" in Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City by well-known
photographer Cal Vornberger, with multiple observers.

I am not sure of the earliest date for Northern Waterthrush, but am
fairly sure it is a much later date, perhaps by 2 or more weeks (from
today's date) - there is an early record listed in "Bull's Birds of
New York State", edited by Emanuel "Manny" Levine, the species account
by Stephen W. Eaton, noting an extreme date of  7 Apr. ("coastal,
banded") & of course we all are aware that sight records, even some by
fairly experienced observers, are not always 100% reliable to species
between Louisiana and Northern, particularly with unusual dates &/or
locations, although experienced observers can be very cautious with
exactly such unexpected occurrences of either of the waterthrush
species.

In the same book (as noted), the early record noted above for
Louisiana Waterthrush took place years after the book's publication,
however it did list an extreme date of 25 Mar. ("coastal"), under that
species' account.

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan