Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge 23 Apr

Joe Giunta, George Form and I (Sy Schiff) spent a pleasant morning
circumnavigating the West Pond. Beautiful sunny day.  Migrants and newly
arrived birds were mostly absent. Of interest were a group of GLOSSY IBIS at
bench 3 and two widely separated LITTLE BLUE HERONS.  Both SCAUP species
continue on the pond.

What is of interest is the new (back to the old days) interest in maintaining
the refuge as a place for birds and birding. To that  view, the water level on
the west pond has been lowered and wide swaths of venation have been
eliminated.  There are now mud flats and a clear view of them.  When the
shorebirds start moving through, we should have a bonanza.

Sy