6/9/10 Pillsbury Mountain, Adirondack Mountains of NY, elevation 3602', temp
32, calm winds throughout the survey, few clouds, survey started at 4:33
a.m.

The first Bicknell's Thrush song was heard at 4:22 a.m.  Conditions were
perfect with calm winds throughout the survey.  Fifteen species were tallied
at point counts:

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (0,2,1,1,0)

Blue-headed Vireo (0,0,1,1,1)

Red-breasted Nuthatch (0,0,0,1,0)

Winter Wren (0,0,1,1,0)

Bicknell's Thrush (4,3,0,0,0) There were several birds singing/calling
between points 1 and 2, and another bird calling between points 3 and 4.

Swainson's Thrush (4,2,1,1,1)

Hermit Thrush (0,0,0,2,1)

Magnolia Warbler (0,1,1,2,2)

Black-throated Blue Warbler (0,0,0,0,1)

Yellow-rumped Warbler (1,3,3,1,3)

Black-throated Green Warbler (0,0,0,1,2)

Blackpoll Warbler (2,2,1,2,1)

Canada Warbler (0,0,0,0,2) Nice view of one.

White-throated Sparrow (1,1,1,2,1)

Dark-eyed Junco (1,1,1,0,1)

When the 4th Bicknell's Thrush began to sing on the summit, it aggressively
flew after another singer a short distance from me.  Wild sounds came from
the conifer as these two birds tangled.  I found it interesting that this is
the same exact location where I witnessed two Bicknell's Thrushes tangling
in the evening when I camped on the summit several years ago.  (The location
is a conifer at the edge of the clearing by the fire tower.)

The dirt road to the trailhead is a wonderful birding area, so I stopped at
a couple locations on my way out.  Several Mourning Warblers were heard in
addition to many other warbler species.  I stopped at two wetlands and both
had a female Hooded Merganser near the road.  One of these females took off
loudly as I got out of my car - she came back a few seconds later flying low
over me as she loudly called.  I must have been close to her nest, so I
moved.  A Common Loon called from a nearby location and a Brown Creeper
sang.  A highlight for me was finding a Common Grackle nest near the road.
The babies were in an open nest about 15 feet up in a dead deciduous trunk
at a knot location.

I saw a beautiful orange sunrise as I finished the survey, and rising white
fog revealed all the lakes and rivers below.  It is always a highlight of my
year to be alone on Adirondack summits at dawn.  Wonderful solitude.

Joan Collins

Potsdam & Long Lake, NY