(We have been in the process of moving back to our Long Lake house full-time
this summer, so I apologize for late reports.)

8/19 & 8/21/10 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

At ~ 3 p.m. on Thursday, a juvenile Northern Goshawk was observed standing
on Tarbell Hill Lane as I drove a group of teenagers to our house.  It flew
into the forest as we approached.  This was a couple tenths of a mile from
our driveway.  Yesterday, again at ~ 3 p.m., I was picking blackberries with
our two dogs, when a juvenile Northern Goshawk flew from a tree about 20
feet from me (it was very startling).  It flew to a nearby tree for a few
seconds and then disappeared into the forest - not far, but just out of
sight.  This is likely the same bird since the sightings were only a few
tenths of a mile apart, but no way to know for sure.  Northern Goshawks nest
near our home, but this is the first juvenile I've observed on our property.
Our dogs and I have been picking berries at least every other day (the
berries were terrific this year) and we startle a family of Ruffed Grouse
every time we are out (5 to 6 birds usually flush).  I suspect that is what
the Northern Goshawk was hunting near the berry patch.

(Just a note about picking berries with dogs:  I find it fascinating to
watch my dogs pick berries from thorn-covered bushes!  It gives me insight
into how coyotes manage to pick them.  They use their sense of smell to find
the berries and of course, I use sight.  Together, we make quite a team.
(They pick low berries and I pick high when we find a bush.)  Yesterday, I
was having trouble spotting any new berries, so I followed the dogs and they
found quite a few!)

8/20/10 Long Lake

My husband, George Yellott, observed 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers (at least
one male) feeding on a dead conifer along our driveway - he saw the yellow
mark on the cap of one, but could not see the cap on the second woodpecker.
Non-birder that he is, he "forgot" to tell me for 3 hours!  He took me to
the location and there has been a lot of activity on this tree, so I am
keeping an eye out.

*****

A note about Ruby-throated Hummingbirds:  I have been using the same feeder
for years at our Long Lake house and we usually have a male Ruby-throated
Hummingbird each year.  This year, my mother showed up with 2 additional
feeders during a visit - that had perches at the feeding areas (mine does
not have perches).  We now have so many hummingbirds that it often feels
like every hummingbird in Long Lake is at my house!  I fill the "perch"
feeders constantly and I've counted as many as 8 hummingbirds in sight at
once (I suspect there is at least over a dozen regulars now).  People that
visit us have to duck the non-stop activity of hummingbirds all over our
porch.  It seems odd to me that hummingbirds would prefer "perch" feeders
given that they normally feed at flowers and spider webs where they need to
hover as they feed.  Maybe I'm creating couch-potato hummingbirds?!  Anyway,
if you want to attract lots of hummingbirds to your house, buy feeders with
perches!

Broad-winged Hawks nest up the hill from our Long Lake house each year, and
this year, they nested in our back yard.  They vocalized NON-STOP throughout
the breeding/nesting season.  After awhile, I got used to the constant
whistle sounds (which I miss now).  On June 28, my husband got up in the
middle of the night to catch a dawn flight out of the Albany airport.  I
wondered what wild sound he was making when I realized it was coming from
outside.  It took me a few seconds of waking fogginess to realize the
Broad-winged Hawks were screaming.  The sounds they made are not on any
recordings I own.  I am certain that they were fending off a nocturnal
attack of some kind.  I was glued to the window and the vocalizations went
on for a several minutes.  I wished I had recording equipment.

The Shaw Pond Great Egret that I posted on 7/29/10, was around until 8/4/10
(7 days).

Barred Owls have been heard throughout the summer at our house and our
neighbor's house.  Several nights I have "talked" back and forth with them.

Warbler waves have been moving through since the 3rd week of July.  In
particular, Northern Parulas moved through in good numbers in the last week
of July.

July 26th was the last date I heard the local Mourning Warbler sing outside
our home.

Evening Grosbeaks were heard on 7/21/10 outside the house.

A Ruby-crowned Kinglet nested along the Northville-Placid Trail (S) in Long
Lake again this year.

On 7/7/10 I had wonderful views of a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher along Route
28 in Newcomb and views of another Yellow-bellied Flycatcher along the
Hewitt Eddy Trail in Minerva.

I'll end this post with an adorable sighting that my husband and I had at
our Potsdam home on July 25th:  We observed 2 little spotted fawns venture
onto our lawn.  At the time, a group of Amer. Crows were feeding.  The fawns
stared at the crows and seemed really curious.  One fawn approached a crow
that kept moving away.  The fawn then jumped up and down in a playful motion
attempting to get the crow to interact (the crow just kept moving away from
the fawn!).  It was one of the cutest wildlife observations I've ever had.
The fawn kept trying to get the crow to interact and the crow kept moving
away!  There was no sign of an adult deer nearby, but I assume an adult was
not too far away.  Wish I had caught this on our video camera.

Joan Collins

Long Lake & Potsdam