8/10/10 Ferd's Bog & Shallow Lake Trail in Hamilton Co.

I guided a wonderful group of people to Ferd's Bog and Shallow Lake on
Tuesday, Aug. 10th.  The group of 6 included a 7-year-old up and coming
birder named Gregory from New Jersey!  He is interested in birds, insects,
and amphibians.  His parents and 3 other adult friends take him camping in
the Adirondacks every year.  Not many 7-year-olds can handle looking through
binoculars, and he was occasionally frustrated by the process, but he was
very advanced for his age.  Here are some of the species we found:

Ferd's Bog:

Amer. Kestrel

Belted Kingfisher

Pileated Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Eastern Kingbird

Boreal Chickadee

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren - singing

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Magnolia Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Canada Warbler

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Purple Finch

Shallow Lake Trail:

Common Loon

Herring Gull

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Magnolia Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Black-and-white Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Canada Warbler - singing!

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

8/11/10 Bog River canoe trip (noon to 8:30 p.m.; St. Lawrence Co.)

I guided the same group of people on the Bog River, Wednesday, August 11th.
We canoed 6 miles round trip from the Lower Dam to Hitchins Pond and we also
climbed Low's Ridge (2.2 miles round trip) for fantastic views of the High
Peaks from the cliffs.  Before our trip back out, we swam in Hitchins Pond
which was lovely.  Here are some of the species we found:

Amer. Black Duck

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Belted Kingfisher

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Alder Flycatcher

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Swamp Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Rusty Blackbird - at least 7!  We found these birds just before the Lower
Dam on our way out at dusk.  There were 4 birds preening in a dead snag.  We
were observing them when they suddenly flew - and another 2 birds joined
them in addition to another nearby vocalizing bird for a total of at least 7
Rusty Blackbirds.

Another highlight from this trip was a treed Ermine found by Michael Bailey!
It was right along the trail and it watched us intently as it peeked out
from behind the tree.  Eventually, it came down and quickly ran away.

Observers:

Michael & Margaret Bailey - New Jersey

Joan Collins - Long Lake & Potsdam

Gail, Andrew & Gregory - New Jersey