I spent a pleasant day hiking around the southern half of Conntquot River State
Park Preserve.  It was fairly quiet birdwise. Birds seen and heard included
several towhees tweeting from the scrub oak along the LI Greenbelt Trail,
chipping sparrows trilling near the main parking lot, a pair of kestrels that I
assume are a mated pair perching in some dead pine snags in the open grassy
area southwest of Bunce's Bridge, eastern bluebirds utilizing the nest boxes
north of the parking lot, and numerous pine warblers trilling in the more pitch
pine dominated sections of the preserve.  The highlight was wonderful,
prolonged views of a yellow-throated warbler foraging in the trees over the
river just south of the fish hatchery along the red trail. It was accompanied
by a lone blue-grey gnatcatcher, whose wheezy song first attracted my
attention.

John Turner