After work today I checked out the Buffalo waterfront on the Niagara River
where I found an adult BLACK-HEADED GULL.  I phoned Jim Pawlicki, who
happened to be nearby, and together we found at least three LITTLE GULLS (2
adults with black hoods, one first-cycle).  After I left, Jim grabbed a bite
to eat, then came back out and found a second adult BLACK-HEADED GULL!  This
bird had legs that were more blackish, less red and it lacked white spotting
in the hood at the base of the bill, which was shown by the first bird.
This is late for this species.  Although we have several summer records of
Black-headed Gull, this is our latest spring record (previous record was
April 20). There are thousands of BONAPARTE'S GULLS on the Buffalo
waterfront, many quite close allowing for outstanding viewing.  Lots of
COMMON TERNS mixed in with them.

DIRECTIONS TO THE BLACK-HEADED GULLS LOCATION:
Harry's Harbour Place Grille, which is accessed from Niagara Street (NY
266), just south of Ontario St. - look for the small "Harry's" sign with an
arrow.  The access road will take you under I-190 to a marina with many
docks, where the small gulls are sitting.  The Black-headeds seemed to
prefer to sit on the docks that were closer to Harry's restaurant.  Other
places to look include the foot of Austin Street and the foot of Hertel Ave,
both just south of Harry's.    Between Ontario St and the access road to
Harry's is another road that will take you just north of Harry's. where you
can drive a short distance along the river.  There are many Bonaparte's
Gulls in all of these areas, although they will likely be moving out in the
next few days.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna