The usual line is that it is just "two bad apples".  Since I spend a
fair amount of my birding time photographing, I've seen a lot of
photographers.  The number of bad apples is more in the range twenty
to forty.  (Think: in the course of one day two of us we documented 3
of them - how many more went undocumented ?).  In the case of Snowy
Owls I'd expect about 1/4 of the photographers to be wandering the
dunes.  Owls in particular reward bad behavior with better
photographs.

Or should I cite the case of the NY photographer who visited a local
birding spot and was apparently taping in the breeding Kentucky
Warblers for a better shot ?

There are lots of examples of this because there are lots of people
doing it, not just two.  While it is still the minority it's quite a
significant minority, and therefore a quite a significant problem for
sedentary wintering birds and breeding birds.

Phil Jeffrey