To echo Janet's post and in response to Stella's - I too have seen
photographers being insensitive to snowy owls, on other ocassions. I remember
one time there was a fantastic photo op for one particular owl at Jones Beach a
few years ago.... I even took one of my kids out of school so he could see this
beautiful bird. (there were actually TWO owls at the beach that day! We saw
both of them!). The first, "poster bird" was sitting on a dune, with at least a
half dozen photographers snapping away at a distance of about 15 feet. Maybe
not even that. Unbelievable but true. The second bird was more skittish and was
sitting by itself, closer to the beach. However, as my son and I were watching
it, a jogger running along the beach passed it too closely (not seeing the
bird) and the owl flushed, flying overhead and away. You just can't win!

I disagree, however, that owls should not be mentioned on these birding
listservs. I would think that's just the beginning of a slippery slope....first
owls are kept secret, then perhaps a first-of-state nesting, or other rare
bird.... who's to say an inconsiderate photographer, or birder (yes, those
exist as well, I had the experience of one in my own back yard!), will get
close enough to ANY noteworthy bird to shoo it off and ruin the experience for
everyone else (not to mention stressing the bird!)?

Keeping sightings limited to "word of mouth" severely restricts who sees what,
turning birding (or the viewing of certain species) into a private club of
sorts - with only the elite "inner circle" allowed to participate. I for one
don't go birding regularly in winter, preferring to just go out for rarities,
and am not in anyone's cell phone contact list. I usually don't like birding in
a crowd. I know a few "key" people but nobody really well. Word of mouth
wouldn't work for me and wouldn't work for many other respectable, but more
casual birders who might come from out of the area just to see an owl, or any
other noteworthy bird.

There's no way to completely eliminate the problem. There will be clueless
joggers, dogs and their owners, and kids flushing the birds in addition to the
photographers and selfish birders who show up. You can't put a fence around
these birds. I believe that by posting photos or names (or even license plates)
of the perpetrators, they will eventually learn that it's not worth their while
to do what they're doing. Or they won't care and the occasional bird may suffer
an uncomfortable moment or two. I still think that's better than a whole lot of
decent, good folks losing out on something really special.

have a great day!
Cindy Wodinsky