I like Peter's posting and would like to add a few thoughts.  Maybe I'm
missing something, but the question that doesn't seem to be fully addressed
is: What do we do about it?

Keeping sightings off the listserves is one solution, but one that a lot of
people, myself included, have difficulty with.  As others have pointed out,
it fosters an attitude of elitism and exclusivity that many have tried to
overcome in the birding community.

Moreover, I'm not convinced it would make that big a difference.  There is
an implication here that those who get sightings off a listserve are
somehow inherently less respectful birders.  I'm not buying that.  Just
because I read about an owl online rather than go trekking to Jones Beach,
say, to look for one myself isn't going to change the way I go about
looking at the bird.  (That is to say, hopefully with respect.)

You could argue that posting increases the numbers, and thereby increases
the chances of malfeasance.  Maybe.  But I'm not convinced other channels
wouldn't have the same effect.  If a Snowy Owl showed up at Breezy Point,
word would travel, listserve or not.  And to the person who suggested
posting the general area, not the specific dune, that just seems pointless
to me.  Having to search far and wide makes one more respectful than
zeroing in on the spot?

There's also an ancillary benefit to the postings, in my opinion.  I like
to know!  99% of the time I don't get out to look for the bird myself, but
it excites me to know what's going on in the world of birding and rarities.

I'm intrigued by the photographer/birder who says he gets within 15 feet
(or yards, I can't remember which) of the owl, and that's enough to keep
the bird from flushing.  How does he decide what the "correct" distance
is?  Is he still walking through fragile dunes to get to his mythical
line?  While I have no bias against photographers vs. birders, might we
admit that to get a good shot, a professional or amateur photographer has
to approach a bird considerably closer than a birder to get a
"satisfactory" shot/look?  So we are back to the question of what do we
do?  The problem is not going to go away on its own.

Another source of confusion: What are we trying to protect?  The habitat,
the bird, or every birder's right at having a fair chance of seeing the
bird?  Or all three?  The conditions for each may be very different.  If
the dunes at Breezy Point are closed off to protect the habitat, then the
solution is to enforce those boundaries absolutely, and maybe we need to
find out how we can enhance enforcement.

I suggest, as have others, that ultimately the answer lies in educating
ourselves and others in proper birding ethics and etiquette.  We need to
think creatively and without blaming about how to do this.  Maybe birders
out to see a Snowy Owl can bring a sign with them that explains the proper
viewing distance and behavior.  Maybe we need to somehow designate
"captains" to regulate viewing, and at least provide powerful viewing
equipment for visitors to share.  Maybe we need to have designated times
when photographers can go closer for shots.

I don't know.  But we need to keep working for solutions, together,
constructively.

--Fred--

Fred Baumgarten
Sharon, CT/Westchester, NY