This pertains to a bird being seen recently in Maryland, as well as
comments on a bird not seen since early January (the NY Grace's), &:

An excerpt from Doug Gochfeld's note to me, on my Lucy's Warbler
(which is not being seen recently in any eastern state) comments...
and the "time-frame" I referred to below, from the original (first)
post regarding a Grace's Warbler in Maryland (being seen very
recently) - I would add that it's more than luck that the Nassua
County Grace's was looked at again (and again and again) as the
finders initially had not believed it to be that species, but a
warbler species known to breed in the east (per comments quoted from
A. Baksh and D. Gochfeld, as well as S. Ausubel).   IF one accepts
that the Maryland Virginia's Warbler was initially seen Dec. 26, 2011
(see below excerpt), it was in the same time-frame as the finding of
the Grace's EWarbler in Nassau Co. - and, to clarify it's simply
interesting that 2 warbler species that breed in the southwest U.S. (&
adjacent Mexico) were seen in areas not all that far from each other
in the east - in terms of the distance they must have traveled in
reaching the east and the much smaller distance from Nassua Co., NY to
Maryland.

The record of Grace's in NY appears to stand alone as the first east
of west TX, and those were in areas that have been adjacent to
breeding; there are scattered records west (a much shorter distance)
for Grace's to the west coast of s. California...

The Grace's find gets me to wonder if any "off-season" sightings of
Yellow-throated Warbler, a fairly well-known lingering, occasionally-
wintering (some have this winter season in the northeast) & of course,
often early-spring "overshooting" species, could possibly be of
Grace's.  It is fortunate that the one and only eastern record in
Nassau Co. was so well-observed.

Thanks to Doug Gochfeld for the note and the clarification, easily
confirmed (in part) with a hard-copy reference I've mentioned a few
times, "A Field Guide to Warblers of North America" by Dunn and
Garrett, which has a lot of information on all of these warblers.

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan

(An excerpt from Doug Gochfeld's personal note:)