This posting is a day old but I think it's still relevant.  On friday
afternoon and Saturday Morning I visited a patch of the Pine Barrens at the
terminus of Wading River Hollow Road near WLNY-TV in Ridge (north of Rt.
25, east of Artists Lake).  There's a small pond in the woods - not sure
what the name of it is but it was virtually dry due to the drought we have
been experiencing. The trail along the LIPA easement though had lots of
singing Prairie Warblers and I was able to find a few to photograph as
well.  The dominant vegetation in the area is bayberry which makes it easy
to view the birds.  A blog post with a few photos can be found here:
http://birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com/2012/05/prairie-warblers-abound.html

This afternoon I stopped at Quogue Wildlife Refuge and found a nesting Blue
Jay just off the boardwalk trail on the south side neatly tucked behind
some vegetation.  That was the only bird of note there - but to the South,
along the east side of Meeting House Road is a newly constructed osprey
nest in the top of a tree.  This is interesting as natural nests (not
constructed on platforms) are quite rare on the Island and it seems that
they were forced to construct it due to an Owl taking over their nearby
platform nest.
--
- Luke Ormand, East Patchogue

www.birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com