I felt an update was warranted given the turnover in birds that I and
others observed today at Jamaica Bay on the East Pond.  It seems a lot of
birds booked it last night, with the biggest cut coming from Short-billed
Dowitchers!

Shorebird numbers were way down from just a day ago.  Especially, with
Short-billed Dowitchers whose numbers were estimated to be much less than
half of the 3500 reported earlier in the week.

Stilt Sandpipers were not as many as reported on Monday and while 21 were
counted at the North End, there were not many elsewhere on the pond.
Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers appear to be holding steady and Bobby
Kurtz and I observed our first juvenile Least Sandpiper today.  Also seen
were a couple of juvenile Semipalmated Sandpipers.

Despite the smaller numbers, a careful search of the shorebirds that were
on the pond showed that some diversity is starting to build. 2 White-rumped
Sandpipers, a specie which had not been seen for a while were observed
today.

A nice bright Female Western Sandpiper was observed and photographed by
Bobby Kurtz and I and later I found out that this bird was also observed by
a party that included Patricia Lindsay and Joan Quinlan. This is a
different individual than the much smaller billed male that I found on
Monday.

Two Red Knots were also observed on the North Island, which also hosted at
least 3 Pectoral Sandpipers among other shorebirds.  And of course as I
reported earlier "Rufous Ruff" is still around.  Seen thorough this evening
as the light faded.

Total shorebird species: *16*

Good shorebirding in Queens!

Andrew Baksh